How can we cope with emotional stress of infertility treatment?
Your approach to coping
The success rate of modern fertility treatments is high. But for the majority of couples, multiple treatment cycles may be necessary. Learning to cope with stress is an important step towards making sure that you and your partner achieve your goal.
People react differently to stress. Some people are devastated by fertility problems, yet others seem able to adjust and carry on with their lives. One person’s strategy for handling difficult emotional issues will be different to another’s. Some people:
- Are active problem solvers.
- Think positively and view their chances with optimism.
- Seek emotional support from their support network.
- Blame themselves for their conception difficulties.
- Seek distraction or escape through social contact.
- Avoid thinking about their problems altogether.
|It’s helpful to understand how you approach stress. Use the Fertility Compass to discover your coping style and learn new strategies to reduce emotional strain.|