Waiting for the pregnancy test: what can I do?
To alleviate stress, you need to understand its underlying cause. Fertility treatment is strenuous, but the demands aren’t only physical. When asked, most couples say they find the emotional side of treatment even tougher to get through. In part, it’s the need to deal with intense feelings – the unfulfilled desire to have a child.
The circumstances surrounding fertility treatment also add pressure, having to:
- Mix with friends who become pregnant with apparent ease.
- Brush off thoughtless remarks – suggestions that you can find ‘the same fulfilment through becoming a godparent or an aunt´.
- Meet a range of different healthcare professionals.
- Share intimate aspects of your sex life with clinic staff.
- Self-inject hormone treatment.
- Withstand the effects of hormone treatment on your emotional state.
- Schedule treatment appointments to fit your work week.
- Plan your career amid the uncertainty of your family life.
- Wait for the outcome of that next pregnancy test.